Monday, March 15, 2010

Three In One

My stencil idea for today is a three in one. #1 Fall in love with supplies you don't use as often all over again. #2 Stencils can also be masks. #3 Don't make it harder than it has to be.

#1 Chances are good if you are like me you have supplies that you love hiding in your studio. Chances are also good that these supplies would love to play with your stencils! For my little demo today I pulled out my Neoart water-soluble wax pastels. I LOVE these why do I always forget to take them out to play?


#2 Besides just tracing around the outside of your stencil you can actually use them to mask off, or protect, the paper that is hiding underneath. Today I started by pushing my wax pastel firmly against the edge of my stencil. Not only did this leave a path of color it also jammed a tiny bit of the pastel along the edge of the stencil. I decided to use two color against my stencil because I wanted the colors to blend together a little bit. Next, I rubbed over the wax pastel with a paper towel with the stencil still in place so that it would continue to mask the paper underneath and also so that it would also continue to hold onto the tiny waxy edge.


#3 Sometimes I get into a pattern of over thinking my piece. I forget that I don't always need 16 pieces of paper and 12 embellishments. :) Sometimes one strong focal image, a wax pastel outline, and a few stickers is all I really need.


Don't forget to check out the stencils in my Etsy shop after all it is stencil week. :)

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Great idea and great page.

jane eileen said...

Jeane's mom said...
The fabric samples are in the works! I can't wait to share them with you
xoheartp,
MH