Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Have I Got A New Year's Resolution For You!


What do all of these empty medicine packages have to do with a New Year's? While I'm sure you could think up some pretty interesting stories in the end you might find we have the same resolution for 2008.

So about three days ago I woke up with this nasty cough. I didn't feel completely terrible yet so I just took a couple of doses of this cough syrup (not in one sitting) that I had in the house and dealt with it. I pretty much felt fine during the day and bad at night, you know a normal cough.

Anyway, fast forward to last night. Jim and I knew we would be in bed before midnight because a) we are old, b) we are not drawn to large drunken crowds, and c) Jim had to work at 7 A.M. today. So we ended up at Rob's house watching basketball and sleeping on the couch. At about 9 P.M. Jim woke me up to go home to go to bed and I felt like my chest had been filled with cotton. When we got home I grabbed the cough syrup took a dose and realized it tasted awful. No, really awful, worse then it should, really. I checked the expiration date to discover that it expired sometime in the year 2005. I knew I wasn't in danger because I had already survived two doses earlier in the week so I tried to go to bed. It wasn't happening and at about 10:45 I decided to get some NyQuil. Luckily I decided to check the expiration date and low and behold the NyQuil caplets had also expired mid 2005. It was at this moment that I made a resolution to clean out my medicine supply. It was more like one of those God deals, you know the ones..Dear God, if you just let me live until the morning... Anyway, after sleeping for a few hours, sitting up, I did clean out my medicine cabinet, get new NyQuil and Mucinex, and now I can say I've accomplished my New Year's Resolution in only the first day of 2008.

Just for the record I had only one medication that I was able to keep from my medicine stash. Some of the medicines expired in 2000-no, I am not kidding. Check your medicine cabinet today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought those dates were just a suggestion. Do I really need to throw away the ones from 1992?

Jane Eileen said...

Think of it like this. Even though I am sure you felt HORRIBLE, at least the empty round containers and the lids to the bottles can be used to stamp circles of different shapes and designs to your art work. You lose some medicine, you get some art supplies. Call Mom if you need chicken soup, peeps to roast or whatever. Love, MH

Kelly Kilmer said...

That's one thing I'm on top of-expiration dates. I'm scared to open up *anything* when I go to my parents' house as my Mom still has salad dressing from 1995 *shudder* in her fridge.